Facetiousness, like many other strongholds begins as a thought which may become a habit. A facetious stronghold is one of the most hidden strongholds because it is sanctioned by the world and worldly thinking. We may enjoy a laugh or two at the expense of another without even being aware that this spirit has taken up residence.
When discovered, this stronghold could rise up and invite other strongholds to protect itself. Before it gives up its domain, facetiousness may invite strongholds of denial, defense, arrogance, spite, criticism, and many others.
In the guise of resembling humor, facetiousness in a host may gain credibility and continue on for years without the host or anyone else seeing the true destroyer behind the host’s words. These words treat serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor.
Ephesians 5:4 Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.
Although at first the words of a host of facetiousness may seem amusing or frivolous, the gift of words are given to us by God. Proverbs 18:21 The tongue has the power of life and death,and those who love to talk will have to eat their own words.
1. Weigh your words carefully. Since we know our words are powerful, we need to make sure the power of our words builds up, rather than knocks down.
Matthew 12:36-37 “I can guarantee that on judgment day people will have to give an account of every careless word they say. 37 By your words you will be declared innocent, or by your words you will be declared guilty.”
2. Take control over your own habits, particularly when it comes to the words you use.
Ephesians 5:4 Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving
3. Stay in Christ. A friend of the world will come to ruin.
James 4:4 Don’t you know that love for this evil world is hatred toward God? Whoever wants to be a friend of this world is an enemy of God.
4. Recognize the difference between foolish and wise words. Filter out the input you get through the media, your friends, and others around you.
Ecclesiastes 10:13 A fool starts out by talking foolishness and ends up saying crazy things that are dangerous.
5. Follow Godly advice and wisdom from the word of God. No one who takes God seriously will allow facetiousness to rein in his/her life.
James 1:22 Do what God’s word says. Don’t merely listen to it, or you will fool yourselves.
Proverbs 10:8 The one who is truly wise accepts commands,but the one who talks foolishly will be thrown down headfirst.
Written by Christian author, Pola Muzyka