One of the most vital and fruitful virtues we can cultivate is patience. It is a fruit of the Holy Spirit that shows up as we move closer to the Lord. Patience prevents us from moving forward too quickly or suffering longer, or more intensely, than we have to.
Patience brings wisdom and hopeful expectation to an otherwise futile situation. With patience we can defeat many strongholds that hold us prisoner and separate us from the blessings God has planned for us.
Without patience we grow weary and move forward too quickly sometimes making grave errors. We expect to be handed things instantly and without effort. When something becomes too difficult we can destroy our own efforts and bring in our own defeat if we lose patience.
Patience produces peace, compassion, and understanding. It builds character, honor, and respect and assures us of future gain.Without patience we are assured of potential loss. But with patience we have a promise from God that if we wait for him he will renew our strength and we will be complete, with nothing lacking.
1. Pray without ceasing in all situations and under every circumstance. If it is God’s will, you will have it. Ask God for what you want. Make sure it lines up with His will.
Romans 12:12 Rejoice and exult in hope; be steadfast and patient in suffering and tribulation; be constant in prayer.
James 4:2-3 You are jealous and covet [what others have] and your desires go unfulfilled; [so] you become murderers. [To hate is to murder as far as your hearts are concerned.] You burn with envy and anger and are not able to obtain [the gratification, the contentment, and the happiness that you seek], so you fight and war. You do not have, because you do not ask. 3[Or] you do ask [God for them] and yet fail to receive, because you ask with wrong purpose and evil, selfish motives. Your intention is [when you get what you desire] to spend it in sensual pleasures.
2. Expect the blessings. Your blessing could be over the next ridge. Don’t give up.
Galatians 6:9 And let us not lose heart and grow weary and faint in acting nobly and doing right, for in due time and at the appointed season we shall reap, if we do not loosen and relax our courage and faint.
3. Don’t get upset when you don’t see things happen instantly. Human understanding and abandoned emotions do not produce perfection.
Psalm 37:7-9 Be still and rest in the Lord; wait for Him and patiently lean yourself upon Him; fret not yourself because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who brings wicked devices to pass. 8Cease from anger and forsake wrath; fret not yourself–it tends only to evildoing. 9For evildoers shall be cut off, but those who wait and hope and look for the Lord [in the end] shall inherit the earth.
4. Thank God in advance for what you expect. If it is God’s will, you know it will come.
James 5:7 So be patient, brethren, [as you wait] till the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits expectantly for the precious harvest from the land. [See how] he keeps up his patient [vigil] over it until it receives the early and late rains.
Philippians 4:6 Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition ( definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God.
5. Build your faith up by the Word of Christ. The more you read of the promises of Christ, the stronger your faith will become. The stronger your faith, the more your patience will build.
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
Romans 10:17 So faith comes from hearing the message, and the message that is heard is what Christ spoke.
Written by Christian author, Pola Muzyka.
- Free to be Tolerant (strongholdsmashers.com)
- Free from the Stronghold of Frustration (strongholdsmashers.com)
- Patience (Longsuffering) is a Fruit of the Spirit! (jesusmylordandsavior.wordpress.com)
- Free from the Stronghold of Guilt (polamuzyka.wordpress.com)
- Free from the Stronghold of Profanity (polamuzyka.wordpress.com)