Depression is a stronghold that Christians and pre-Christians alike struggle with on a regular basis. Receiving Christ does not automatically remove depression from our lives. Christ gives us the strength to endure during our vulnerable times.
Depression is on the rise because of the economy. Many have lost homes, jobs, and even their health. Seasonal Affective Disorder mostly prevalent in winter, can prevent us from getting proper elements from the sun, outdoor exercise, and fresh air. This can also cause a physiological depression.
When depression sets in people self medicate, withdraw, or rebel in different ways — some rebellion contributes to the rise in criminal activity. Criminal activity increases victimization. Victims feel helpless and this also causes depression.
Security in our world today is no longer completely possible. Extreme weather patterns can even cause pain. How can we know what tomorrow will bring? Depression can set in at first as hopelessness, anger, pain, or a feeling of defeat. Once depression takes hold it can attack our bodies and even our lives. One of the enemy’s greatest weapons of mass destruction is depression.
1. Remember that you’re not alone in this battle. If you’ve received Christ, Jesus is there with you. Reach out to him. If you haven’t received Christ yet, follow the steps in Free from the Stronghold of Lies.
Philippians 4:6-7 Never worry about anything. But in every situation let God know what you need in prayers and requests while giving thanks. 7Then God’s peace, which goes beyond anything we can imagine, will guard your thoughts and emotions through Christ Jesus.
2. Speak with someone you trust who can pray with you and give you good Biblical advice.
Ecclesiastes 4:9 Two people are better than one because together they have a good reward for their hard work.
Matthew 18:19-21 “I can guarantee again that if two of you agree on anything here on earth, my Father in heaven will accept it. 20Where two or three have come together in my name, I am there among them.”
3. Trust God to see you through. Gratitude for what God has given you and hopeful expectation of what He will give you can increase endorphins, which decreases depression.
John 10:10 A thief comes to steal, kill, and destroy. But I came so that my sheep will have life and so that they will have everything they need.
4. Don’t dwell on your problems. That won’t solve anything. Keep your thoughts focused on the things God has done for you and on the good things in your life.
Philippians 4:8-9 Finally, brothers and sisters, keep your thoughts on whatever is right or deserves praise: things that are true, honorable, fair, pure, acceptable, or commendable. 9Practice what you’ve learned and received from me, what you heard and saw me do. Then the God who gives this peace will be with you.
5. Be pro-active. Move forward with positive actions. These good things you do will clear some of the reasons for your depression.
James 2:18 Another person might say, “You have faith, but I do good things.” Show me your faith apart from the good things you do. I will show you my faith by the good things I do.
6. Recognize and pray about the situations that cause you pain and anger before they turn into depression. Remember we are fighting to overcome a stronghold, not each other or even the situation.
2 Corinthians 10:3-5 Of course we are human, but we don’t fight like humans. 4The weapons we use in our fight are not made by humans. Rather, they are powerful weapons from God. With them we destroy people’s defenses, that is, their arguments 5and all their intellectual arrogance that oppose the knowledge of God. We take every thought captive so that it is obedient to Christ.
Ephesians 4:31 Get rid of your bitterness, hot tempers, anger, loud quarreling, cursing, and hatred.
Written by Christian author, Pola Muzyka.
- Free from the Stronghold of Depression #2 (polamuzyka.wordpress.com)
- Flee to the Stronghold of God (polamuzyka.wordpress.com)
- Free to Have True Joy (strongholdsmashers.com)
- Free from the Stronghold of Victimization (polamuzyka.wordpress.com)
- Free from the Strongholds of Curses (polamuzyka.wordpress.com)
- Free to Love Unconditionally (polamuzyka.wordpress.com)